Re: No NIC and No X - WTF Does It Take?

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 06:24:21PM -0800, Scarletdown wrote:
> Here's s hot of what the /etc/network/interfaces file contains, as
> well as the results of lspci
>

> http://webpages.charter.net/scarletdown/Misc/Screen-0.JPG

You can capture this output to file with a command like:
  lspci > lspci_ouput.txt
and then put that file on floppy/usb-jump-drive/etc, and then send it
instead of posting a digimage; the advantages are that it's easier for
folks on slow dial-up to see the output and that the output gets
archived for future use. Still, it's a creative way of letting us see
the output.

00:08:0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. .. Trio32/64...
00:11:0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. .. 86c325 [Virge] (rev 06)

> The second video adapter on the list is the one I am trying to
> use.#160; The first on on the list is the on-board video, which is
> apparently impossible to fully disable (I asked on the Packard Bell
> newsgroup, since this is a PB Multimedia C115, but all I got there was
> silence.)
>

> Anyway, I ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and plugged in all the
> appropriate values, including the PCI Bus ID as per what lspci showed
> for the S3Virge.#160; Still no luck.

You need to convert the lspci format into hex, so it'd be:
  PCI:0:b:0
_not_
  PCI:0:11:0

This is why you're getting 17 as the bus id, and why the card is not
being found there.

> http://webpages.charter.net/scarletdown/Misc/Screen-1.JPG
>

> Judging by the error message, it looks like the system pretty much
> ignored the info I plugged in (specifically the Bus ID for the video
> card.)#160; And why did it try to use the onboard video as well, when
> I didn't set anything for that anyway?

Without seeing /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 it's hard to say, but I suspect
that the system included that card in the XF86Config-4 via
autodetection.

--
Kent