Re: bind9 in stable won't run chroot or setuid

Hello Micha!

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 04:23:09AM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
I tried running bind9 in stable as chroot and setuid.
setuid nobody it won't run at all. chroot if runs but doesn't actually
listen on any port.
It will only run as root for some reason. Is this a known bug or am I
doing something wrong.
Its on woody running on a powerpc (beige g3).

Did you try checking the Chroot-BIND HOWTO
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/LDP/Chroot-BIND-HOWTO.html

Quoting from there:
|This document describes installing the BIND 9 nameserver to run in a
|chroot jail and as a non-root user, to provide added security and
|minimise the potential effects of a security compromise.

Also check the BTS if you are not sure whether it is a bug or not
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=bind9

Cheers,
Flo