Re: How to get away with small /var partition

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 12:13:46AM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote

> The one thing you *don't* say is how much space you've got on the disk.

  Sorry, approx 40 gigs.  My "A" machine is 433mhz, 128 megs RAM, and
17gigs disk.

> I'd dump /misc and make it /home.  For a workstation.

  Question... along comes the "next version".  I blow away the OS
partition(s) and re-install.  The new install will ask for a local user
account to be created.  If I have attempt to create one with the same
name as the previous install (i.e. waltdnes), will any existing files in
/home/waltdnes get over-written ?

> Or you could just give yourself One Big Partition and deal with the
> attendant problems.

  I'm trying to get as close as possible to One Big Partition, without
the problems.  The minimal needs seem to be...
/
swap
/var
userspace+miscellaneous

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
Email users are divided into two classes;