Re: messed up mbr- unable to boot

> > can I use knoppix live-cd to fix mbr to be able to boot sarge & m$XP?
> > lilo is installed on sarge. grub maybe also installed though not
> configured.
> > no boot floppy :-( used new installer and dont remember the option to
> make
> > boot floppy
> > thanks
>
> I haven't tried Knoppix yet, but I messed up my MBR just the other day
> and was able to fix it with the Woody install CD #1, which can also
> serve as a rescue CD. I booted to the CD, and then entered:
>
> 'rescbf24 root=/dev/hda3'
>
> at the prompt. This started up the 2.4 kernel (I had trouble trying to
> rescue with the default kernel; don't think it can read Reiserfs) and
> set root to my Woody partition. Then I just edited my menu.lst file for
> grub, reset the MBR with the 'update-grub' command, and rebooted.
> Everything worked fine after that.

Sorry! Don't use the 'update-grub' command! That generates a new
menu.lst file, which is what got me into trouble in the first place!

I just checked my notes and realized that it was not my MBR that was
messed up. It was the menu.lst file.

In any case, it sounds like you use lilo. Once you've booted up and
gotten into your Sarge system, you should be able to use the lilo
command to rewrite your MBR.

Sorry for the misleading information on grub.

Mark