Re: No NIC and No X - WTF Does It Take?

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 14:37:46 -0800 (PST)
Scarletdown <scarletdown@yahoo.com> wrote:

<snip>
> Anyway, the video setup is an S3Virge (86C325) with 4MB RAM, and my
> monitor is a Sony Trinitron Multiscan 17se (HZ-Freq:#160; 31.5-82 /
> Vt-Freq:#160; 50-150)

<snip XF86 error>

> I checked /etc/X11/XF86Config and as far as I could tell, everything
> looked correct.#160; This very same system has recently been used with
> RedHat 7.2 as well as SuSE 7.0 and Knoppix. and I had no problems
> getting the X-Server going and botting up to the GNOME desktop.#160;
> So why isn't it working now?
>

> And then there's the NIC.#160; During bootup, I see a message scroll
> by that indicated that the NIC was detected (It's a 3c905b Fast
> EtherLink PCI/XL).#160; But after I log in, ifconfig does not show any
> signs that the card exists at all.#160; When I installed Debian, I
> didn't see any option for any type of 3c90x NIC, though there were
> plenty of other 3COM NICs listed.#160; Again, this worked fine with
> RedHat, SuSE, and Knoppix.#160; So why won't it work with Debian?

Howdy,

I've got an S3Virge running on a 15" monitor here with no problems. The
easiest thing may be to try and copy the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file from
Knoppix, since it worked on your computer. Alternatively, I can e-mail
you a copy of my config, if you like.

If I'm remembering right, I used a couple of 3c90x NICs in some servers
not that long ago. I believe they used the 3c59x module. (Yes, a little
confusing when you don't know what to look for.) You might try a
modprobe, lsmod to make sure it's loaded, and then ifconfig eth0 up.

HTH,
Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed... Oh wait, he
does.