Re: messed up mbr- unable to boot

First thing: pease don't top-post. It screws up the readability of the
thread.

Also, please send followup messages to the list, not to the individual.
There may be others on the list who know more, and just because somebody
answers once doesn't mean they want to be your personal mentor.
Not that I'm upset about it or anything, just letting you know the
local etiquette.

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 03:22:10PM +0100, tripolar wrote:
> On Friday 28 November 2003 10:00 pm, ScruLoose wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 02:26:33PM +0100, tripolar wrote:

> > > can I use knoppix live-cd to fix mbr to be able to boot sarge & m$XP?
> > > lilo is installed on sarge. grub maybe also installed though not
> > > configured. no boot floppy :-( used new installer and dont remember the
> > > option to make boot floppy
> > > thanks
> >
> > You should be able to, AFAIK.
> > Get knoppix up, mount your hard drive read-write (manually, 'cause
> > knoppix defaults to readonly), configure and run lilo or grub to get the
> > mbr set up how you want, and reboot.
> >
> > 	Cheers!
>
> This doesnt seem to be working. mounted r/w, use knoppix root console, try to
> run /mnt/hda6/sbin/lilo
> errors.
> Do I need to chroot /mnt/hda6/sbin/lilo ??
> it seems that lilo needs to be run on sarge(the linux install on hda) rather
> than trying to run lilo from knoppix(live-cd)
> any ideas?
> thanks

You may want to try chroot. Not sure, though, as I've never used it
myself.

Another method is if you have the bootable CD you installed debian from,
you should be able to boot from it, specifying root=<whatever> to get
you booted into your installed system. Then fix what needs fixing...

	Cheers!
--