Re: Going to give it another shot-need more help

(CCed to the bemused one because of the massive delay in posting a
reply)

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 11:24:40AM +0000, John Peter wrote:

> Mark Healey wrote:
> > I then made and make installed the module.  Now I need to know what
> > lines I have to add to what files to get the module working.

> Well, now it's easy - just edit /etc/modules and add the name of the
> compiled module. It will be loaded at boot from then on.

In case something has gone awry however, check to see if the .o that you
made is in /lib/modules/<kernel version/ somewhere. If you aren't sure
what the .o name is, you could do

$ find . -name \*.o |sort > /tmp/before
<build process>
$ find . -name \*.o |sort > /tmp/after
$ diff /tmp/before /tmp/after

...to find out. When I install new modules in my system, I tend to copy
the .o into /lib/modules manually, run depmod -a, and add it into
/etc/modules if I want it on-boot. (surely however this shouldn't be
necessary, and it should be autoloaded when something tries to use the
eth interface?)

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/