Re: recommended Virus Scanner?

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 22:06:54 -0800
Tom <tb.31123.nospam@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 09:33:45PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 11:57:26PM -0500, ScruLoose wrote:
> > > I've gotta say that md5-encrypted shadow passwords, chkrootkit,
> > > integrit, SYN cookies, iptables, etc. don't really look like the
> > > products of a "can't happen here" mentality.
> >
> > On the contrary, it's lessons learned quickly combined with the kind
> > of paranoia that the tinfoil-hat crowd would be proud of.  Unix
> > geeks(BSD geeks in particular) seem to take "It's not paranoia if
> > everybody really is after you" to heart and applies it.
>
> One more comment before I drop the thread:
>
> The problem isn't mitigating what you know about.
>
> The problem is you don't know what you don't know.  And the enemy
> always gets a vote on the battlefield :-)
>
> That said, certainly nothing wrong with the efforts so far...  I just
> personally don't believe they will prove sufficient once all of
> Eastern Europe begins to focus its efforts on hassling you :-)

Eastern Europe!!??

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/metasystems/BigBrother.html

About halfway down that link you will come across an article entitled,
'Microsoft et Intel.' For those that have no grasp of the French
language, here's an adequate translation:-

'The prize for being Electronic Big Brother goes, incontestably, to
Microsoft, with its Windows system and Internet Explorer, which contain
a user identification number, the GUID. This number is then written to
all documents created with Microsoft Office. It may also be consulted by
internet because of commands embedded by Microsoft.
SUMMARY: The Global Unique Identifier in Windows and in IE is a Back
Door.

Hidden commands in Windows and IE, which in turn integrate other hidden
commands, permit MS (and govts) to scan users' disks..., without the
user's knowledge, while the user is connected to the internet. Microsoft
admits to this possibility.

According to a report realized in 1999 for the French Department of
defense, Microsoft and American Information Services (CIA et al), and
members of the National Security Agency work with Microsoft coders. This
report also gave examples of "back-Doors" included, (or rather
"embedded") in Microsoft software.

Intel has placed an ID number that may be consulted at a distance by
interested parties in their PIII (now VI) and XEON chips.

The solution::: use a Mac or a Linux system, and surf with anything but
Internet Explorer.'

The Age is a reputable newspaper:-

https://www.politrix.org/foia/nsa/nsa-ms-spy.htm

NOW, PLEASE UNDERSTAND, I am not in the least interested in starting off
another O.T. topic unless it's within the curiosa environment.
But Eastern Europe!, that one belongs in the days of the cold war.
The latest translation of 50s McCarthyism is the 'Terrorist' campaign.
Stick with the fashion, if you don't want to admit to reality.
Regards,

David.