Re: Xresources & Xdefaults documentation

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 05:58:49AM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 12:39:55AM +0200, Micha Feigin (michf@post.tau.ac.il) wrote:
> > Can someone recomend so documentation about Xresources & Xdefaults.
> > I found some examples floating around but the exact syntax eludes me.
> > I tried googling, looking in the HOWTO directory and apropos but it
> > seems like I am not finding the right document.
>
> Generally:
>
>     resource: value
>
> ...and '!' is the comment character.
>
> Note that resources have compound parts.
>

> I picked up a copy of O'Reilly's _X Window System User's Guide_ some
> years ago.
>
> /me thinks.  Sheesh.  Eight years already....
>

> ...which has a pretty good set of docs on X Window System Resources.
> Most of which you can get from "man X" as suggested.  The book is
> probably overkill now, and largely obsolete, but I'm happy to have it.
>

> For most applications which use the Xt toolkit (fewer these days, though
> a lot of stuff outside GNOME and KDE does), the app's own manpage should
> list resources.  The manpages for xterm, twm, xclock, and xload should
> provide some decent clues.  There may be sample resource files in
> /etc/X11/Xresources/

I picked up on most of the syntax, but there are a few points, such as
it appears that using
XTerm.
affects all exterms even if they were called through a link
(x-terminal-emulator for example) while
xterm.
affects only when called as xterm or whats the difference betwin
xterm*fonts and xterm.fonts (some apps appear to prefer it one way and
some the other some take both).