Messup with apt-get dselect and sid

Hi people, got a little problem, I inherit a computer on my shob its a
testing machine so it originally had sid installed upgraded from woody. The
problem is that im not the only admin and the other one only use apt-get to
install and remove packages, I, on the other hand, only use dselect to
install and remove, and apt-get to update and upgrade.
The problem is that when ever I use dselect to install something a bunch of
thing drop to be installed which I didnt ask for.
I belived that there was no problem using both apt-get and dselect, and that
dselect would respect whatever apt-get would do, and with apt-get u wouldn't
mess the things when u install a package.
Can any one give me a clue of whats going on, or set me to some good
reading. ;)
Thx, to you all.
rak