Re: Importing Corel Draw

On 25. November 2003 at 10:56PM -0600,
Terry Hancock <hancock@anansispaceworks.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 25 November 2003 03:36 pm, Andreas von Heydwolff
> wrote:

> > There once was a free Linux port of PhotoPaint 9 from Corel
> > running on Corel Wine. It was buggy but I had it running
> > quite nicely on my potato system two years ago. I think it
> > had import filters for CDR.  [...]

> Seeing as PhotoPaint is a *bitmap* program, this would not
> truly import the CDR data, but *render* or *rastorize* it.
> Which is probably not what the original poster wanted.  It
> would be far better to use a tool which can actually convert
> *vector-to-vector*.
>
> Sketch does this with CMX files, but I don't really understand
> the relationship between CMX and CDR (I stopped using Corel
> Draw around version 3.0, and there was no CMX format then).  I
> would *guess*, though, that there is some intermediate version
> of Corel Draw which can read and write both formats. So I'm
> suggesting:
>
> 1) Use Corel Draw to convert CDR -> CMX
> 2) Use Sketch to convert CMX -> sk
>
> (I think you can probably also get SVG out with Sketch, though
> I'd have to check that -- it can certainly import SVG, but I'm
> less sure about exporting).

I'm actually having problems importing SVG with Sketch (I'm
missing a Suggests depends which I'm too lazy to install).  But
I'm using Sketch as an EPS (PostScript) to SVG converter.

And, since CorelDraw supports exporting to EPS , I would change
your step (1) to:

1) Use Corel Draw to convert CDR -> PS