Re: *plonk* Re: Code of Conduct (was Re: Totally [OT] Re: Opium)

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:24:16 +0000
ben <ben_foley@web.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 20:50:09 -0800
> "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > on Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 04:49:14AM +0000, ben (ben_foley@web.de)
> > wrote:

Karsten and Colin are two completely different individuals, their
approach to a situation is therefore also going to be individually
different.
It's not up to either of them to be 'moderators' and I'm sure that
neither of them wanted to be. But nevertheless, that was the position
that the rest of us forced them into.

There was a thread that had nothing to do with Debian extending into
hundreds of postings. I am sure that nobody resents a little social
interaction, but when it interferes with the central function of the
list, that is when it has to cease or find a new environment. Debian
comes first, it's as simple as that. This is why this list was
established. If we have individuals here who feel a requirement to
totally usurp the situation for their own personal needs, then obviously
they are in the wrong place.

With two individuals in a situation, one personality does not
predominate, there is an interaction involved. One factor is Karstens'
manner, but the other is your perception of it. The vocal personalities
involved at the moment, have a completely different reaction to Karsten
than I do. I don't mind a bit of straight talk. As far as I'm concerned
there isn't enough of it in the world, and considering that there were
more than 'one and a half' personalities still involved in the situation
after Colins' request for 'moderation', perhaps there is a place for a
manner that has the ability to cut through in situations of persistent
idiocy. I'm not saying that the thread didn't have some excellent
material, I'm saying that it had deteriorated, as I have said in a

I got an email from Karsten, not the first one I've received from him
either, but I didn't feel challenged by it. I woke up, wandered out,
half asleep, clicked on send/receive, and Karstens' fist leapt out of
the screen and smashed me in the face. It woke me up, set me up for the
day.

This world is full of different kinds of people, that's one of the many
interesting aspects of it. Leave Karsten alone. He's got his own kind of
value.

Don't worry Karsten, you've got back-up.
Regards,

David.