Re: OK, may be not a hoax... (was Re: Hoax: Re: What up with www.debian.org ?)

"Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> on Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 01:30:36AM -0800, Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
>> on Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 01:07:20PM +0530, Raghavendra Bhat (ragu@asianetonline.net) wrote:
>> > Jerome posts:

>> > Someone has  cracked all the servers  of the Debian  Project.  There has
>> > been  a severe  security  mishap  and guys  should  uninstall all  stuff
>> > downloaded  and installed in  the past  2 days.   Please do  not apt-get
>> > anything right now!  Please wait till an `official' release happens!
>>
>> Hoax.
>
> OK, possibly not.
>
> I've got no verified information, but I've got several usually reliable
> sources backing this story.

I'm not in any position to make an official announcement (I barely know
anything more than you guys), but I know enough to state this story is
an quite an exaggeration.  Please remain calm, nothing (much) to see
here.  ;)  There's no evidence to suggest any Debian packages have been
trojaned or anything of that nature.

> There should be an official announcement one way or the other soon.

Yes, within the next hour.

--
Don't worry, it's *in*-flammable.