2.4.18bf24 kernel and APM question

OK I've got Debian Woody 3.0 installed on my old Toshiba Tecra 700ct laptop.
Took some tinkering but I've got it fully functional. I originally installed
it with the 2.4.18bf24 stock kernel that came with Woody. Everything worked
though I had to add one tweak to get the pcmcia to work. Now I upgraded and
compiled my own custom 2.4.22 (and a test 2.4.19 with same results) kernel.
I did this because the bf24 kernel tries to load a scsi driver that
conflicts with the scsi controller on the deskstation V that I also have.
Now The new kernel fixed the problem with the pcmcia (don't need the fix I
used with 2.4.18bf) but now the apm doesn't power down the laptop with
shutdown. I've done quite a bit of digging and have found that at sometime
the apm module in the kernels no longer powers down machines as a feature.
And I've looked at both the bf24 kernel config file from Woody and my custom
2.4.22 config file and all the apm features are set identically. So I have a
couple questions. Has anyone got a possible work-around for this to get apm
to power down again? And what did the developers do to get the 2.4.18bf24
kernel to power down machines with apm? Did they have to patch the kernel
with a special apm patch or was powerdown still available with the 2.4.18
kernel and they lost it when the 2.4.19 kernel came out? I don't even know
where to find this info.