Re: OT, proper phone wire question?

On Tuesday 18 November 2003 01:59, lee wrote:
> Sorry to get off topic but I need to re-wire my DSL connection at
> home here and need to buy some phone wire and am curious if there is
> a good/better/best type of wire I should purchase..will be a direct
> run to my modem going about 100' or so from my box..

I wired my home and my parent's home with Cat 5 Shielded Twisted Pair.
That made it possible to run 100 MBits/s Ethernet through all the
cables. It was quite straightforward, but you need a punchdown tool to
terminate the cables. They're not too expensive, but I was fortunate
enough to be able to loan the tool from the Institute where I studied.
Also, it came in a 100 meter roll, so once I bought that, I might as
well use it all...

In retrospect, I would have bought unshielded, though. For a shielded
cable to be of any use, you must ground the shield, and the termination
points must be connected to the shield. Termination points that allow
this are more expensive, and I didn't get around to ground it anyway.

I think I would recommend this setup to others, Cat5 unshielded twisted
pair.

Best,

Kjetil
--