Re: Workspace/desktop switching

hi ya alex

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Alex Malinovich wrote:

> I've been seeing a lot of discussions about various WM's lately, and
> everyone seems to be extremely concerned about easy workspace switching.
> I'm just wondering what exactly everyone uses workspaces for? Every once
> in a while, if I'm doing two things at once that each require 5 windows
> a piece, I'll use two desktops/workspaces, but I don't think I've ever
> really gone over that. That leads me to believe that there's some
> unrealized benefit that I'm missing out on. So what do you use your
> workspaces for, and why are they so important?

i log into about 50 systems ... at any given time ...
and some per client#1  and other xterms per client#2

- switching between windoze/doors/xterms is extremely important/useful

- i'd login into 100 machines if i wanted to type passwd to each
	and i will never use "passwd-less login".. if the hacker cracks 1
	server than they can propagate to the rest of your boxes

and i dont like it when kde or gnome hangs... or if konqueror hangs..
panic panic panic... how do i unhang the hung x11 processes .. which one..
-- its major pain to login as user and su - root to each machine again
	( i gave up on gnome ... too unstable )

	- machines been up 3 months.. 6 months.. no problem
	( too long that one sometimes forget the passwds )

c ya
alvin

- all that w/ kde-3.1.1a w/ 256MB of memory on k6-350 ... no problem
	switches almost instantly