Re: alternative to mrproject (gnome project planner)

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > > ..is any of these project juggler toys built as front end to a
> > > real database like postgresql?
> >
> > Better. A standard text file, true to unix tradition.  File the text
> > file in a non-dumb way, and you can have full version control, etc.
> > Write the scripts, and you can have it anywhere (including generated
> > from a postgres DB, I suppose, but why?).
>
> ..big projects like our platforms, with a few hundred people reporting
> progress and resource expenditure, trying to get it all right done just
> in time?  ;-)   Takes transaction lock control, just like in the banks.

You would need to write a script that does the queries, and builds the text
file.  It can be done, but it is not pre-packaged :)   It would need to be
run every time you need to update the reports, which may or may not be
something acceptable.

I guess the taskjuggler guys would be trilled to have you testing it against
such a big project :-P  Because I don't think theirs are that big.  Mine
certainly isn't.

Taskjuggler is the project-magement backend, it would need suitable
frontends, as you said.  The thing is, these frontends are not difficult to
build... even if they WOULD take some effort).

Now, if only taskjuggler upstream didn't use old SuSE crap... I foresee a
lot of trouble for the DD who is packaging the thing.  He will need to do
quite a lot of fixing to get it to use proper up-to-date tools such as those
in Debian sid :)

  Henrique Holschuh