bootup hangs with nfs

Stable box with 2.4.22, has been working flawlessly for a few weeks now.

Suddenly without any changing anything in the setup except for a few harmless backup scripts without any relation to nfs but only samba and not on the day before the error happened, the bootup process kept stopping at the message

"Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon".

I had the nfs packages installed for testing purposes while I built the machine but did not have any shares being served when I put it to use in the current environment. fstab had no nfs entries. I did have a wrong routing entry from setting up the machine at home that came up with my LAN eth0 (no connection to the outside world) but this had been the same all the time anyway.

Fortunately I could boot with the old kernel and deinstall the nfs packages. Everything is working again.

But what could have happened there? Has anyone else experienced such an error coming out of nowhere? I would like to know if this is likely to happen again with nfs which I would want to install again eventually for actual use.

Regards,

- AvH