Re: freelance sysadmining [WAS: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"]

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:11:36 -0500,
vikki@neuromancer.homelinux.com (Vikki Roemer) wrote in message
<[🔎] 20031112171136.GH2718@neuromancer.homelinux.com>:

> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 09:32:46AM -0500, BruceG wrote:
> > Anyway - you might want to include a few distributions, as not
> > everyone may be interested in Debian. I found Mandrake, SuSE and Red
> > Hatto have a very good look and feel. With RHL moving towards
> > Project Fedora, and Fedora Core at 1.0 - you may see interest in
> > both Debian and Fedora.
>
> I was planning on working with whatever distro the customer already
> had installed.  I have a little (granted, very little) experience with
> RH (7.2), and if/when I get a laptop I'd put Slackware on it for a
> little while, just to get some experience with  it, and I'd also put
> RH on it just to stay in practice.

..I advice you stick to one distro for your clients, Debian Sarge should
be out before you get your feet wet..

> > Only reason I'm bringing it up is that once a client (or friend) has
> > DSL in, and if they have a laptop - they will bring up wireless.
> >
> Hmm, I'll look into it.  First I've got to finish HS, get a job, and
> get together some money to get a laptop, etc.  Meanwhile my parents
> have to get DSL.

..*dsl lines makes good wifi hub hook-ups.

> > The other thing to look at is volunteering at a church, or if you
> > are part of a homeschool group. Maybe put up a website or a forum,
> > and use that experience to fill out your resume.
>
> I don't go to church anymore (used to be Catholic, now I'm an
> atheistic Buddhist), but I do belong to a homeschool group  and I'm
> already maintaining a website for them.  See
> http://bchomeschool.homelinux.com/
>
> > I found that volunteering gives me experience in things I don't do
> > that often: replaced hard drives, PD's LAN infrasctructure and

..uh, "PD" being preceded by their local cities???  ;-)

> > replaced defective hubs (bad power and too many hits), replaced bad
> > cable, set up a Payroll PC(don't forget power-up passwords and disk
> > passwords for those kinds of animals).
> >
> > Finally - it might be cool to do a desktop install on a PC for your
> > church or whatever civic group you might belong to. I found that our
> > church got some donated PC's and re-uses them. My next project is to
> > install Linux on one, just to give a taste of what it is and what it
> > does.

..another way is always keep a Knoppix or your own remaster of it,
handy, if you weed out enough bloat, you can put it on a credit card
size cd and use that as a your business card.

> Hmm, if only the homeschool group had a place to keep the computer,
> it'd be interesting to do that.  See, we don't have a permanent
> meeting place-- we depend on nice churches in the area for a place to
> have our co-op classes(parents teach various classes on various
> subjects-- everything from anatomy for elementary schoolers to trivia
> (the class I'm taking this 6 weeks) to chess), and we use the electric
> company's meeting room for our group's monthly meetings.

..so they have space, power and wires.  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: