if left idle i get logged out

hi,
warning: vague question from someone who doesn't
really know what they're doing :-/

i've just gathered the courage to upgrade to woody and
all has gone well, except that if i leave my machine
idle for about 20 minutes it logs me out and kills all
my processes. (i did have some trouble setting the
XF86Config-4 file to get a readable screen.)

i guess this is the kdm crashing or something (but
actually have no idea). i looked at the Xfree86.0.log
and the kdm.log but they don't tell me anything. i
tried using xset to turn the screensave off but it
didn't help, and i installed the xscreensaver package
in case that was the problem, but it wasn't.

any suggestions on where or what i should start doing
or what info i could provide to help anyone understand
what's going on would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
brett