Re: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"

techlists <techlists@techgod.net> writes:

> As much as I like Wine, and use it myself for some products, I fear that
> the wine project may do to linux what win-os/2 did for os/2.  If your
> system will run win32 apps, what insentive do companies have to develop
> native programs for you.

Well, Wine has been around for what, ten years now and this hasn't
happened?  And in a way, it's been at roughly the same functional
level for most of that time.  Many apps work to some extent, some work
very well, some don't work at all.  (The exact apps and support keeps
changing, because it's a moving target.)

I don't foresee Wine ever becoming so complete that many companies
will use it as an excuse not to write Linux versions.  A few have
tried, and have mostly failed in the market.  (Games I think are the
only area where it's been taken seriously.)  Unless Windows stops
moving, Wine isn't going to catch up.  And if Windows stops moving,
it can only be because we won.

Note that the WineHQ's myths page disagrees with me, but 10 years and
no v1.0?  History weighs against their arguments.

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - I am the rocks.
Organ transplants are best left to the professionals -Bart Simpson/1F15