[Fwd: Re: Cannot install, upgrade, remove, etc.]

Subject: Re: Cannot install, upgrade, remove, etc.
From:    "Papadopoulos Alexis" <acp@cybermail.net>
Date:    Thu, November 6, 2003 3:33 pm
To:      "Kent West" <westk@acu.edu>

Actually ls is in /bin/ for me. It doesn't change anything.
I'm positive now that the problem is due to the fs, some weird messages
appear in the boot process, that must be it. Now, is there at least (so as
to begin) any way to get rid of these corrupted files (I cannot remove
them, since rm responds that there is no such file, and rm -f isn't
working) ?
fsck didn't help, though saying that 30 are messy...

Anyone has a clue ?

Thanks again

> Papadopoulos Alexis wrote:
>> Apparently the problem is somewhat bigger than that...
>> I just typed ls -l in /var/lib/dpkg/info
>> Here are the first lines :
>> ls: libidl0.postrm: No such file or directory
>> ls: bash.postinst: No such file or directory
>
> <snip>
>
>> ls: klipper.list: No such file or directory
>> ls: reading directory .: Input/output error
>>
>> Now I must say that I'm a little bit confused... How can that be ? This is
>> the origin of the problem but what is IT ?
>>
>> Can that be that the files got corrupted or something like that ? Can I do
>> something to solve this ? Strange though, I'm using ReiserFS, are these
kind of things supposed to be avoided ? Oh, and if I try to replace for
instance xfree86-common.list my PC reboots immediatly!