[SOLVED]Re: dpkg segmentation fault

Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 07:29:22AM +1100, Jonathan Wheelhouse said
> > Hi
> >
> > I get this when running aptitude:
[snip]
> > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg received a segmentation fault.
> > Ack!  Something bad happened while installing packages.  Trying to recover:
[snip]
> > I cannot install the new version what do I do?
>
> A .deb is an ar archive containing two tarballs.  You can extract the
> new libc like this:
>
> $ ar x libc6_2.3.2.ds1-9_i386.deb

[snip some good advice]

Thanks, I did something like this by essentially following the same
advice from another thread.

However, I had one complication - my / partition (about 50 meg) was
100% full.  I had to move some stuff to /var before being able to
follow the advice.

Tonight I fixed the filling up / partition by using GNU parted to copy
/dev/hda5 (mounted as /) to the windows partition (/dev/hda1 which is
about 600 meg), modifying /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf and running
lilo.  Crossed my fingers - everything went almost smoothly; Debian is
running fine now.

I know 600 meg is too much for / as I have /var, /tmp/, /home, /usr
and /usr/local on separate partitions but resizing partitions is
pretty dangerous and I don't really have a backup strategy yet (other
than saving a gnucash file to floppy).  So this is something I will
leave for another day.

Anyhow, thanks again for the good advice.

Jonathan