2.4.22 & IDE modules

Forgive me if this has been documented somewhere and I missed it. I recently installed my first debian desktop box. I used a bf2.4 net install cd linked to on debian.org, finished the base install, canceled tasksel, and did a dist-upgrade to unstable. I also took the opportunity to get the latest 2.4 SMP kernel, which was 2.4.22-1-686-smp. After booting, I could not access any IDE drives and my sound card didn't work. With some help from #debian, it was determined that it was a problem with modules. So I installed the 2.4.22 source package, used the 2.4.22-1-686-smp .config, changed CONFIG_IDE to y, built and rebooted. My sound card works with no fuss, which confuses me since CONFIG_IDE is the only change I made. But I still have to load ide-detect manually to access my IDE drives. I never did get it to work with the 2.4.22-1-686-smp package, will try again tonight now that I know which module to load.

What is the correct way to configure this to load at boot? I have initrd images (for both the official package and the one I built with kernel-package) I made by hand for each kernel. I noticed in some older threads on this list people talking about files in /initrd determining what initrd loads, or do they determine what modules go into an initrd image? Either way, I have no files in /initrd. Am I missing a package? I'd much prefer to stick with the provided binary kernel packages.

Is there an up to date document I could look at (everything I've seen is about stable and/or is 2-3 years old) about the module config files layout? Like, what are the differences in /etc/modu* and /etc/modp*?