Re: netiquette: CCing on lists

Steve Lamb wrote:
>     Also there are other problems with the CC approach.  Take, for
example, a
> conversation between 20 people on the same topic (much like this one) all
> whacking reply-to-all.  Ok, fine, why have the mailing list software at
all?
> By the time that 20th person hits reply-to-all he's sending out 20 copies
of
> the message (1 to the list, 19 to the other participants).  It is a major
> duplication of effort.

I wouldn't use "reply to all", I'd just CC the one person.  But indeed, for
those
who have to choose between "reply" and "Reply to all" and don't want to
adjust things manually, that problem is there.

I mentioned earlier that I'd try filtering on "References".  That didn't
work,
and basically gave the same problem that you mention; I see the messages
of everyone who replies to a reply to a reply of my message.  However,
there seems to be an "In-Reply-To" header that's more useful, so far it
seems
to have only the most recent reference.

What all of this seems to mean is, yes, it's possible to have a situation
where everyone just clicks "Reply" and people who want to see
copies in their inbox get them and other people don't.  But it's not
automatic, people have to actually know they're supposed to do it
that way and then figure out how to do it.

Darned, almost forgot to change the To: to send the message to the list.
I've taken care of the receiving end of it, got to work on sending.

David (using a PC this time, didn't plan it that way, just how it worked
out.)