Re: netiquette: CCing on lists

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 01:26:11PM -0500, David Gaudine wrote:
> There's an idea.  I'll try it.  Although personally I'd still rather
> receive the message in my debian-user folder and a CC in my inbox. I
> suppose I can use a rule to duplicate the message if it's to
> debian-user with me as a reference.  I'm not too handy with procmail
> but I can probably get by.  Anything starting with ":0: c" (work on a
> copy) doesn't seem to work on my server.

That should be ":0 c:" or similar, not ":0: c". The flags must come
before the second colon.

> I'm surprised that so many people don't like CCs.  When I send a
> message, I want to know if somebody replies.  Without a CC (or the
> above) I won't get the reply until the next time I check the list, and
> then only if read every message on the list or remember which
> subject lines I've been following lately.

I do read every message on the list, though, and that takes enough time
as it is without getting extra copies of some of them. I can see your
viewpoint as well, which is why the Mail-Followup-To: header exists.

(Since you didn't set this header but your message implies you'd like to
be cc'ed, I've done so. However, I usually won't remember without the

Cheers,