Straight to SID...

To install my system, I normally boot off Woody CD, install only the
minimal/base packages, reboot, upgrade the kernel, reboot, and then
install the rest of my SID debs I keep on my hard drive.

(1) When booting from the Woody CD, what would happen if I said "don't
get the base system from the CD" and instead point sources.list to my
local SID partial mirror, assuming it has a SID version of the base.

(2) If (1) works, I suppose it's okay to install an upgraded kernel
during the "do you want to run tasksel or deselect" phase.

This would reduce my setup times from about 30 minutes to about 20
minutes.