Re: failing to upgrade sysvinit from Knoppix version

Simon Tod <todsr1@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> After a hdd install from knoppix 3.2 I tried to dist-upgrade to
> Debian unstable. It all seems to work fine but my debian_version is
> still reported as testing/unstable.

Isn't that what it's supposed to be?  That's certainly what it is on
this sid machine.

> I've tracked this down to the fact that a number of packages from
> the hdd install are not at the latest versions available in unstable
> but are unoffical versions with different dependencies. The most
> significant being sysvinit.
>
> If I try 'apt-get install sysvinit', I'm told I have the latest
> version installed. Not true. The knoppix version is 2.84 something
> or other, whereas 2.85 is available in unstable.

Knowing what exactly the version is might be helpful.  If the Knoppix
people have added an epoch to their version number, APT would be
entirely correct in concluding that 1:2.84-mumble is newer than
2.85-7.  You might also check that your APT sources.list is correct,
and that you haven't set up funny APT pinning rules.

ObAreYouSureYouWantToRunUnstable: booting the laptop was, um, fun this
morning, because I didn't have an /sbin/modprobe.  Funky interactions
between modutils and module-init-tools I haven't finished tracking
down yet.  Nothing in the BTS looks obvious, though.

	-- Abra Mitchell