Unidentified subject!

After a hdd install from knoppix 3.2 I tried to
dist-upgrade to Debian unstable. It all seems to work
fine but my debian_version is still reported as
testing/unstable. I've tracked this down to the fact
that a number of packages from the hdd install are not
at the latest versions available in unstable but are
unoffical versions with different dependencies. The
most significant being sysvinit.

If I try 'apt-get install sysvinit', I'm told I have
the latest version installed. Not true. The knoppix
version is 2.84 something or other, whereas 2.85 is
available in unstable.

If I try 'apt-get --reinstall install sysvinit', I'm
told the packages is not available for download.

This is a common problem when trying to replace a
package from an unofficial source with an official
one. My usual trick is just to remove the offending
package, then reinstall from an official source.

HOWEVER, sysvinit is a rather crucial package (I
think!?) and I'm a little concerned that removing it -
even if only to replace it with a different version
shortly afterwards - may be dangerous.

Any suggestions as to whether or not this may be a
safe thing to do or what alternative approach I could
take would be much appreciated...

Thanks!

=====
Simon Tod