Re: inetd not being run at startup

Monique,

> > Aha, sure enough, only rc0.d and rc6.d have a file K20inetd I assume I
> > can fix this by typing update-rc.d inetd defaults Someone please let
> > me know if it would be a mistake to do so.  Also, I noticed that there
> > were several other files missing besides inetd, such as: cron,
> > kerneld, ppp, hwclock.sh, etc-setserial, hotplug, urandom, networking,
> > umountfs, and halt.  Should I also try to type 'update-rc.d NAME
> > defaults' for them?

update-rc.d can be slightly arcane to use until you get the hang of its
syntax. Even now I stuff it up ;-)

However, one thing that I always remember is:

 update-rc.d -f servicename remove

...this removes said service from all the runlevels. I remember this
because I'm always getting things in the wrong place [the best one is to
put portmap AFTER nfs-kernel-server, or network after nfs-kernel-server.
lol].

 update-rc.d inetd defaults

...should work for you.

DSL