Re: FW: Kernel panic error

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 06:45:28AM +0000, Anim Asante wrote:
> <Emmanuel.Asante@bhpbilliton.com> wrote: >

If this section in lilo boots your kernel, a comparable section in
grub's menu.lst would be:

title   Debian/GNU linux
root    (hd1,6)
kernel  /vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb7
initrd  /initrd.img
boot

If /vmlinuz and /initrd.img are symlinks to /boot/vmlinux-2.4.xxx and
/boot/initrd.img-2.4.xxx,respectively, you should replace them with
the specific kernel and initrd filenames. The grub menu.lst would read:

title   Debian/GNU linux
root    (hd1,6)
kernel  /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.xxx root=/dev/hdb7
initrd  /boot/initrd.img-2.4.xxx
boot

If /boot is in a different partition that /dev/hdb7, "root (hd1,6)"
will need to be changed to match the partition of /boot. For example:
is /boot is /dev/hdb6, the grub menu.lst would be:

title   Debian/GNU linux
root    (hd1,5)
kernel  /vmlinuz-2.4.xxx root=/dev/hdb7
initrd  /initrd.img-2.4.xxx
boot

To be more definitive, you will need to spply more info. Post your
/etc/fstab and the kernel and initrd.img filenames in /boot.

If you run grub in a terminal, you can determine the appropriate file
names and root device by using grub's find command.

--
Jerome