Re: [OT] - problem with java

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 05:09, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I tried replacing the internal java matlab is using (either 1.1.8 or
> > 1.3.1) since it is causing problems with window sizes.
> > I installed j2re 1.4.1 from blackdown in the right place, pointed to it
> > and add a link in <jredir>/lib/i386/hotspot -> <jredir>/lib/i386/client.
> > This causes matlab to start but it locks down after opening the windows
> > and starting all the threads.
> > I'm suspicious that its a thread sinc lock or something but I don't know
> > java that much.
> > Any ideas on what it could be and how to solve it?
>
> No clue, I'm also driven mad by all the java crazyness...
>
> But in the meantime you might try octave it's a very basic matlab
> clone and is available as a debian package. It can do the basic linear
> algebra stuff. It doesn't have all the nice toolboxes and so forth,
> but the rest is kind of there. It's better than nothing :)

Octave is quite nice for linear algebra and it does have the big
advantage of being free. The problem is that I am doing image processing
which requires heavy algorithms on large matrices and proper support for
graphics (2D and 3D). Regratably octave is not up to the task.
The contour function is way to slow and unstable and its image display
support far from being flexible enough. Its about at the stage of matlab
5 (which is quite impressive for a free program).
Another nice option is the pdl extension of perl. Its fast and quite
usable. The problem with it is that its not command line drive but run
from the shell (although there is a simple command line, but it could
use history and completion functionality). Also the syntax is very
different from matlab, so porting isn't really possible.
Another thing that I have to take into account is that I have to
collaborate with colleagues in uni so I don't have much choice.

--
Micha Feigin
michf@math.tau.ac.il