Re: Daylight Savings Time and UP-n-P

On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 17:58, Tom wrote:
> Two questions:
>
> (1) I have debian and XP for games multiboot.  How do I keep both from
> changing the clock for Daylight Savings?  [I'd like to set my HW clock
> to GMT but I don't think XP understands that].

From what I understand, it's actually possible to have XP apply your
timezone to a clock that's set to GMT. I'm not really sure how you do it
though as I don't use XP.

In the event that the option doesn't exist, (like in Windows 2000) then
I'd suggest just setting your HW clock to GMT and setting Windows for
GMT. I have 2000 installed so I can play the occasional game, and I keep
it set to GMT all the time. After all, if I'm playing a game I can't see
the clock anyway. And if I need to know what time it is when I'm NOT
playing a game, I'm already booted into Linux so it doesn't matter what
time Windows says it is. :)

> (2) XP has this UPnP thing that I thing does sneaking things with my POS
> linksys FW open ports.  Is there something like that in *?

I'm afraid I don't know what "this UPnP thing" is, so I can't help you
there. If you'd care to elaborate a bit maybe I can be more helpful.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837