Re: how do i read from memory stick, fire wire?

TR írta:
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:24:53 +0200
JFahnenmueller@t-online.de (Joachim Fahnenmueller) wrote:

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 06:04:43PM -0400, TR wrote:

I want to be able to access the pics and short movies in my memory
stick, but I can't figure out how to do it. After googling, I found
some recommendation about adding the /etc/fstab entry: /dev/sda1
etc... Well, I tried that, but when I try to mount it to its
mounting point I get the response:/dev/sda1 is not a valid device.
Does anyone have any advice out there?
Same about firewire.
Thanks.

Hi!

I have a pen drive too, and got it working. Here I'll try to write, what did I do, and what should you do :) (little nervous because this is my first "helping" post to this list :)
So..

In my case, I can access my drive via /dev/sda.
For this you must compile (CONFIG_SCSI) SCSI support -> SCSI support && (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD) SCSI support -> SCSI disk support. I have compiled the last one as a module.

Because I connect my drive to an usb port, it needs these:
(CONFIG_USB) USB support -> Support for USB (also, I had to remove (CONFIG_USB_BANDWIDTH), Enforce USB bandwidth allocation). Now choose an usb host controller. If you have USB 2.0 on your mainboard, then should compile (CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD) USB support -> EHCI HCD (USB 2.0) support. If you don't have 2.0, it is safe to compile it, it doesn't harm your system. After this, choose an UHCI driver. You can select both of them (CONFIG_USB_UHCI) USB support -> UHCI and (CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT) USB support -> UHCI Alternate Driver and compile them as a module, because then you could try, which one is working for your system. I think the first (the simple UHCI) is working in most cases, and there is no need for the alternate driver, but I don't know what kind of mainboard you have. Ok, now you have usb controller drivers, you must compile one other thing, the usb storage support: (CONFIG_USB_STORAGE) USB support -> USB Mass Storage support.

Now I tell you how it's working on my system:
(Y := compiled in && M := compiled as a module)

SCSI support
  SCSI support = Y
  SCSI disk support = M
USB support
  Support for USB = Y
  EHCI HCD (USB 2.0) support = M
  UHCI = M
  UHCI Alternate = M
  USB Mass Storage support = Y

In this case, I had to add the following lines to my /etc/modules file:

sd_mod   # SCSI disk support
usb-uhci # The "simple" UHCI driver (not the alternate)
ehci-hcd # USB 2.0 driver

If the usb-uhci driver isn't working, then it is time to change the usb-uhci line (in the /etc/modules) to uhci , and try with the alternate driver.

Done. :)

Hope it is clear, and helps, and you understand it. If you have any further questions, please feel free to mail me.

Bye!

--
LeVA