ALSA configuration for CT5880 onboard chip. ES1373? ES1371?

I run a custom compiled kernel using kernel-source 2.4.21-5, with
sound module enabled...

> llama:~# modinfo soundcore
> filename:    /lib/modules/2.4.21/kernel/drivers/sound/soundcore.o
> author:      "Alan Cox"
> license:     "GPL"

The dependencies between alsa-modules and the pre-compiled kernel
images implies to me I need to build my own alsa-modules.  So, I
fetch alsa-source and start following the README.  It produces a
custom alsa-modules package.

But, it is dependent on alsa-base, alsa-utils, and libasound2...
which are dependent on the default kernel images.  Small problem
there which the ALSA maintainers might note.

So, I get alsa-base, alsa-utils, and libasound2 and force install
them ignoring dependencies.  Followed by an install of my custom
package.

The service start fails because of missing entries in the
/etc/modules.conf file.  I hand-add a few lines
/etc/modutils/alsa...

> alias snd-card-0 snd-ens1371
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

And run update-modules.

Now attempting to start service fails with...

> Starting ALSA (version 0.9.6): ens1371-failed failed

I'm now well beyond my knowlege levels of enabling audio in Linux,
and am stabbing in the dark.
Where do I go from here?
Did I make a misstep somewhere?
Do I even have the right cardtype selected?  ES1371.

--
William Guynes