Re: RAID install

Bijan Soleymani wrote:
On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 09:09:19PM +0100, Antony Gelberg wrote:

Hi all,

I'd like to install Woody on a motherboard with SATA RAID, using the
RAID 1 array as the root partition.  The problem is that the neccessary
driver (silraid) is in 2.4.22, but not in 2.4.18 (which as we all know is the
Debian install kernel).

Any suggestions?  This is for a server that needs to be up on Monday...
:(

A hack type solution is to find some way of booting linux on the
machine: that is to say any linux distribution, redhat, knoppix, some
rescue floppy somewhere, and so on.

Then once you have linux running, get the network up and send over a
tarball of a Debian base system (you can create this using debootstrap),
unpack that, install the necessary kernel 2.4.22 in your case (you can
use make-kpgk to make youself a nice little package) then run lilo or
set up grub or whatever and reboot into debian.

Please let me know if you need help with any of these steps.

Bijan

These directions walk you through modify the floppy boot disk for
install on a Promise RAID:

http://ttul.org/~rrsadler/linux-promise/

The concept is the same just modify for the specific kernel and drivers
you need.

-Roberto