Mounting workstation /home on laptop

Hello world!

I had this idea the other day. My parents have a network I made for
them, and currently, it is a router running floppyfw, a workstation
running Woody and a laptop running Woody.

So, I figured, if the laptop is in use at home, which it is most of the
time, behind this firewall, in this network, and the workstation is on
too, it would be convenient for them if their home dir was simply the
home dir that they have on the workstation.

If, for some reason, the home dir on the workstation is unavailable,
then it should fall back to the local disk on the laptop.

Is this something people here are doing? How? I thought about NFS, some
automounting, stuff like that, perhaps mounting both local and remote
filesystems as something other than /home/, and then use a script to
maintain symbolic links. But since all I've used NFS for before is as a
backend to SFS, I really don't know much about NFS' capabilites.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Kjetil
--