USB printer doesn't print

 Strange problem here: I have an HP Laserjet 6L parallel printer connected
through an parallel/USB convertor cable to the USB port of my pc. I'm
running debian with the 2.4.20 kernel, usb-ohci, ehci-hcd and printer
modules loaded, usb-core compiled in the kernel. USB filesystem mounted
and all, my USB external floppy drive works perfectly.
 So it should print, but when I try

echo hello > /dev/usb/lp0

it does nothing. No 'device not found' or anything (which I *do* get when
I send it to /dev/usb/lp1). The funny bit is, that some time ago, when I
was still trying to get the floppy drive to work, I *did* manage to print
a page by sending an asci file to /dev/usb/lp0. I tried using printtool,
but that just gives me an error when I try to do a test printing:

Error printing test page to queue lp

Error reason: connect: lpr: No such file or directory
jobs queued, but cannot start daemon

 Any ideas on what exactly is going wrong, because I'm totally out of
ideas.

--
Alex Borghgraef