Re: Does DRI work?

At Wed, 15 Oct 2003 14:21:37 +0200,
Nicos Gollan wrote:

[...]

> Everyone working on and packaging X has my deepest respect if
> that helps. :-) However, that doesn't mean that I can recommend
> it to anyone; it's such a convoluted thing. Some time back, I
> was playing with the R200 DRI drivers and recompiled the whole
> mess on a regular basis. It was always a tedious procedure,
> including removing one line from a Wacom tablet driver that
> made the compiler throw up for unknown reasons.

[...]

> Just thinking about hacking that monster in different parts
> like xlibs, xserver etc. makes me shudder. Is there a "mental
> state" of the X maintainers somewhere? :-P

I tend to compile every official Debian XF86 release (and some
unofficial "experimental" ones as well).  I'm no hacker but I'm
able to build almost every one of them.  So I don't think it's
that "terrifying", at least as far as the apt-get'able Debian
source packages are concerned.

Now if you're talking about building OpenOffice...