Re: Gnome 2 and window manager selection?

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 06:17:22PM -0500, Todd Pytel wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:47:01 -0400
> stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
>
> > OK, I sed dselect to install Metacity. I already had Gnome-sawfish
> > installed. However, I still can't figure out how to tell Gnome to use
> > this window manager.
> >
> > What am I missing?
>
> Nothing obvious, so don't feel bad - the GNOME folks pretty much buried
> window manager switching for the sake of usability and simplicity.
> Things can get a little tricky because Sawfish and Metacity interact
> with the session manager in different ways. This is one of those things
> that will eventually be easier, but is still in a transition phase at
> the moment.
>
> But going from Sawfish --> Metacity should be easy though. First
> try...
>
> metacity --replace
>
> ...in a terminal. I think that should work. If not, try...
>
> killall sawfish; metacity
>
> ...on a single terminal line. Going the other direction (Metacity -->
> Sawfish) is a pain, however - I don't remember exactly how I did it. I
> think you want to remove Metacity using
> Preferences-->Advanced-->Session, and then run...
>
> sawfish
>
> ...in a terminal. It can get a little weird though, because you'll be
> running without any window manager at all after removing Metacity but
> before running Sawfish.

Yes, that's teh problem. When I log into a Gnome session, I have no window
manager running. I can then get a terminal, and run sawfish, ormetacity.
The metacity --replace, did not got it intalled permanently.

Under Preferences -> Advanced O see a list of programs that are running.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin