Re: Debian / Linux KaZaA client?

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 23:57, Pigeon wrote:
> A friend of mine has a Win2k PC which has suddenly decided that it
> can't load some extremely fundamental driver and therefore reboots
> itself before it has finished booting. The standard cure of
> reinstalling Windoze is not possible because he doesn't have the Win2k
> CD. Also, he's fed up with virus attacks. So I've suggested nuking
> Windoze and installing Debian.
>
> The machine is fairly lightly used, and only by his kids - he doesn't
> use it himself - for email/chat, "homework" (simple WP AFAICT, doesn't
> involve transferring files to/from school computers) - and KaZaA. That
> seems to be the fly in the ointment. Googling for "kazaa client" linux
> only turns up something from May 12 saying basically "from this date
> there is no Linux KaZaA client no matter what you may read elsewhere".
>
> Does anyone have any more up to date information on the availability
> of KaZaA clients for Linux?

There is mldonkey which connects to quite a few networks including
fasttrack which is the Kazaa-lite network (it doesn't use mldonkey by
default, but I think it can be enabled through the menus, if not then
through the setup file).

There are packages for debian, you need
mldonkey-gui
mldonkey-server
I am not sure if they are in the regular archives or whether you need to
use the following line in sources.list:
deb http://marillat.free.fr/ unstable main

The gui takes some time to get used to, but is not too bad.

--
Micha Feigin
michf@math.tau.ac.il