Re: no volume display in XMMS

> How did you give yourself permissions to access /dev/mixer (or ALSA
> equivalent)?  If you just made it world writable, did you remember to
> do this for /dev/mixer (which controls who can change the volumes)
too?
> The "Debian Way" of doing this is to add yourself to the "audio"
group,
> which will give you all the permissions you need, with no fiddling.

$ ls -l /dev/mixer*
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           11 Oct 11 02:14 /dev/mixer ->
/dev/mixer0
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   0 Oct 11 02:14 /dev/mixer0
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  16 Oct 11 02:14 /dev/mixer1
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  32 Oct 11 02:14 /dev/mixer2
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  48 Oct 11 02:14 /dev/mixer3

And I'm in the audio group.

Thanks for everyone's help on this.  I guess I'll file a bug report
against xmms.  I still like it, though.  I just want to see the little
dancing lines!