Re: HELP!Problems with 160GB SATA drive

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 11:18:49AM -0400, Sebastian Canagaratna said
> The SATA is on port 0,

I don't think any SATA controllers are supported under 2.4.18 at all.

> I tried giving hd=16383,16,63 at boot time but it does not make any
> difference.

That won't help if the kernel doesn't even see the controller.

> I presumably will need a boot-disk having the latest kernel version.
> Any suggestions for doing this, or any other way of getting round the
> problem will be appreciated.

Yah, you'll need a newer kernel version.  Try looking at
http://people.debian.org/~blade/ for newer boot floppies, or even try
out debian-installer (http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/).  Another
option (which I would probably pick) is to pull the drive and
controller, and put in another working Debian machine.  Install Debian
using the chroot deboostrap method
(http://people.debiab.org/~walters/chroot.html) onto the new disk, and
either build a kernel that supports the the controller or install a new
kernel-image package that supports it natively.  Once it's installed,
move the disk and controller back to the original machne, and boot.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:         Lexis-Nexis un-Australian Qaddafi bank smuggle Ortega