Re: passwordless root login

On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 06:30:32PM -0400, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> I'd like to configure a debian box to allow root logins without a
> password; what do I need to do?  The relevant line in the password file
> is
>
> root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
>
> I thought the empty password field would do the job, but apparently not.
> There is no /etc/shadow file.

If you want to disable all passwords for login (and if there is no
password for root then people can just su to everyone else anyways) the
best way is to:
edit /etc/pam.d/login
comment out the line
#auth       required   pam_unix.so nullok
by placing a "#" at the beginning.

Then the login program won't even ask for a password. That's what I use
on my console. All other programs like ftp and ssh will still ask for
passwords though. Just make sure you don't use telnet as it does use
login. If you need to disable passwords for any other program then
simply edit its pam file.

Hope this helps,

Bijan
--