Re: Debian Font Guide for Newbies and the Confused

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 07:34:05PM +1300, Paul William wrote:

> > (4) requires a working (1) and moreover requires modifying
> > /etc/X11/XftConfig; in particular enabling anti-aliasing (match edit
> > rgba = rgb) and pointing to TrueType (dir "..path..to..bitstream-vera").
> > (4) is representive of all Xft v1 apps.  (4) also takes care of old GTK1
> > apps.
>
> I am struggling to get GTK1 apps going (gnucash, gabber ...)
>
> extract from /etc/X11/XftConfig
[looks like mine]
> match edit rgba=rgb
>

> #end of config

That XftConfig looks like mine.  Like I said, it is my "belief" that you
have to get the fonts working in plain X FIRST, and then do a bit more
in XftConfig.

#ls /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera/
Vera.ttf    VeraIt.ttf    VeraMoIt.ttf  VeraSeBd.ttf   fonts.dir
VeraBI.ttf  VeraMoBI.ttf  VeraMono.ttf  fonts.alias    fonts.scale
VeraBd.ttf  VeraMoBd.ttf  VeraSe.ttf    fonts.cache-1

--> To get this, cd to ttf-bitstream-vera and run:
#ttmkfdir -o fonts.scale
#cp fonts.scale fonts.dir
#python mkfontalias.py

-->Make sure you have a fontpath to ttf-bitstream-vera in XF86Config-4
-->Use xfontsel to make sure you see the Vera fonts OK.
-->Your XftConfig looks okay to me.  Hope I didn't forget anything.
-->I use gtk-theme-switch to get GTK1 apps to use Vera-8 for everything

Good luck!