Re: Creating a new machine with the same set of packages as an existing one?

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 03:43:29PM -0400, kmark@pipeline.com wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
>
> > stan wrote:
> > > How cna I do this?
> > >
> > > The machine I want to match is a "testting" machine, that I quit updating
> > > about a month agao. Still has Gnome 1.4 for instance.
> > >
> > > Will this ne a problem?
> > >

> > On source machine:
> >
> > dpkg --get-selections >selections.txt
> >
> > On destination machine:
> >
> > (make sure sources.list is the same)
> > apt-get update
> > dpkg --set-selections <selections.txt
> > apt-get upgrade
> >
> > -Roberto
> >
> Hi Debianista,
> I was looking at various posts about recreating a debian install from the
> 'get selections'. But suppose you want to also use the same /etc for the
> packacges. (eg apache setup, sendmail config,...). Would you just make the
> base system, use 'set selection', update and them bulk copy over the
> current /etc dir?
> -Kev

I have successfully cloned an installation, by using tar cjlpsf at the /
directory, burning the ~300meg file onto a CD and then using Knoppix to
load it onto the hard disk of the target machine. For this to work, you
need practically identical hardware, i.e. clone hardware as well
as 'clone' software. This technique has the 'advantage' that you get
true copies of old, out-of-date software, if that is what you are after.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@peakpeak.com