Re: advise about bying ATI Gaphic card

Haim Ashkenazi wrote:
Hi

I'm thinking of bying Hercules 3D Prophet 9600, so I googled for it. I
didn't find many matches (on the debian lists), and most of them were in
french, so I was wondering is that good or bad?
Is this card well supported? I know that ATI released drivers for it, but
the few matches I've found scared me...

thanx
--
Haim

Anything greater than a Radeon 9000 (or 9200 I think) will not currently
have support in the opensource XFree86/DRI drivers.  But the proprietary
drivers available from ATi will work with XFree86 versions 4.1, 4.2, or
4.3.  They distribute it as an RPM, but they also provide suggestions
on how to use alien (just 'apt-get install alien' to install) to install
the driver under Debian.

If you are interested in running a 2.6 kernel, or otherwise making lots
of changes to your system, you would probably be better with a 9000 or
9200, as they will likely work out of the box (though you will need
XFree86 4.3 from experimental or from apt-get.org).

-Roberto