Help - kernel 2.4.22 hangs

The box has an Asus A7N8X with an Athlon CPU, and runs Debian
testing/unstable.  There are 2 RT8139 NICs.

I have a custom 2.4.22 kernel built to use iptables, an ide-cd burner,
a couple of USB devices (I'm not sure what is relevant to the
problem), and so on.

The kernel boots to the point of installing the usb modules, and barfs
on ehci -- modprobe segfaults twice, but it manages to set up the
scanner.  The next message on the screen is:

Cleaning: /etc/network/ifstate

at which point, it hangs.  Nothing works except a power cycle.

I have fiddled around with a numer of settings, including commenting
out the "auto" entries in /etc/network/interfaces, to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I aked on debian-user ance already, and
got no response.

TIA

Cam

--