Totally confused about what apt-get is doing...

OK, I've posted here before with my problem installing mplayer, and I've
finally tracked things down to a missing libvorbis0a package.

Here's what I cannot (now) figure out.

1) apt-show-versions | grep "vorbis" - shows me that I have no installed
packages with vorbis in it, so I don't have libvorbis0a installed.

2) apt-get install libvorbis0a tells me:

Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  kde: Depends: kdebase-audiolibs but it is not going to be installed or
                kdebase3-audiolibs but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

so clearly I cannot install libvorbis0a. But why?

3) apt-get -d install libvorbis0a says the same thing, so I cannot seem to even just
download the deb.

4) I know the deb is there, because on packages.debian.org, I can find the libvorbis0a
package under testing (yes, I have testing properly configured in /etc/apt/sources.list),
and I can manually retrieve the deb from the same server I have listed in my sources.list
file.

5) dpkg --info on the package thusly retrieved seems to show the correct information in it.

So, does this mean something is broken with apt, the packages lists (I did do an
apt-get update first), this packages, or my system? (I should mention that apt-get check
does not show any errors).

Thanks for any help!

nl