Re: mutt header display question

On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 09:42:17 -0700, Paul Mackinney wrote:
> Just a minute ago, when I just catted a sample msg file in the shell it
> showed as
>
>   AmikaGuardian (TM) Server <abuse@speakeasy.net>
>
> So now I understand why my filter wasn't working. Can someone explain to
> me why mutt's display omitted the parenthesized bit?

I guess it's because its address parser got confused. IIRC, that From: value
is invalid (this is probably in RFC2821). There are two standard formats for
email addresses:
	foo@some.org (Real Name)
(i.e. `(' ... `)' is a comment)
and
	Real Name <foo@some.org>
(With edit_hdrs set, you can experiment with mutt's handling of them - it'll
show you mutt converts everything to the second format.)

With the latter format, with certain characters, like `(' and `)' quotes are
needed.
	From: AmikaGuardian (TM) Server <abuse@speakeasy.net>
is incorrect; it should be
	From: "AmikaGuardian (TM) Server" <abuse@speakeasy.net>